Eating healthy is not as difficult or expensive as you may have been led to believe. In fact, just the other day I loaded up on all these healthy foods from the grocery store for just $20 and they lasted me a week. The above picture shows banana bread English muffins, mini sweet peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, a block of cheese, 1/3 of a pound of oven-roasted turkey breast, two Idaho potatoes, bananas and frozen sausage links. To save money and be frugal, you should buy foods that compliment what you already have in your fridge so that nothing goes to waste and you get the most for your money. Based on these ingredients, we are providing you with a list of meal options for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner for just $20 a week!
- Toasted English muffin with peanut butter, banana and honey
- Egg whites with one to two sausage links (for protein)
- Protein potato, baked and filled with grilled chicken breast, mushrooms and sweet peppers, chives, low-fat sour cream and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese
- Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and cheese on whole wheat bread
- Baked zucchini chips – just add Italian breadcrumbs!
- Mini cheese and fruit platter
- Baked potato and grilled veggies alongside a turkey burger or chicken breast (or whatever you may have in your fridge)
- Meatless zucchini lasagna
You can choose to spend $20 for two meals at Chipotle or $20 for meals that will last you a week. Grocery shopping is all about being smart; saving money and getting healthy foods to add to your fridge. Before going to the grocery store, consider the foods you already have and plan your shopping trip on making meals out of these foods to get the most for your dollar!