I had a thought that made me sick today. At first that thought made me think “Damn it!” And then I just kind of sighed and thought … “oh, what the hell?” So I’ll start this story with the fact that I like pushing the envelope. I’m never satisfied and always want more. I’m always HAPPY, but I’m never satisfied and there’s a drastic difference between the two. I realize life is short, and I have a billion things to accomplish both personally and professionally before I leave this earth. However, I sometimes lean on the old “I YAM what I YAM” mantra. And even with a constant craving for more … I’ve often gotten stuck in my ways. Some samples of my stickler issues are:
- I love the heat and fear the cold, so I’ve never really pursued cold weather activities.
- I was raised on the beaches of Fort Lauderdale, Florida in bikinis and board shorts . Paired with my profession as a fitness pro, my style has always been pretty casual. I’ve been makeup and jewelery free to a fault.
- My sporting interests have been those that require constant mental strategy. I loved competing as a kickboxer not only because it was grueling, but because it was fun to trick opponents in to leaning their heads in to my foot. Stuck on THAT type of sport … my clients Kristen Seymour and Jodi Bennett started participating in half marathons. I swore adamantly I’d never join them. Left, right, left, right, left, right for 13.1 miles? No thank you!
And then … things started to change. I’m not quite sure what the heck has happened, but as I look back over the past few years … they have. I’m learning lots of new things, stepping way outside of my comfort zone and am growing hungry for more of that.
- Oakley took me on a snowboarding trip to Utah last year. I was a bit stressed out in anticipation, because I legitimately fear the cold. I wasn’t afraid of snowboarding (something I’d never done), I just didn’t want to become a Fitzsicle. Fortunately, Oakley jacked me up with all sorts of high-tech clothing and instead of being cold … I was sweating on the slopes! How neat is that? I had no idea cold-weather people had gear that actually worked. Now that I know … I’m planning to get back to the slopes as soon as possible.
- Because of my work on stages and in studios, I’ve been forced to up my game in the wardrobe and makeup department. A assure you that time in front of HD cameras and studio lights does not feel or look good without the proper makeup. So, after a few appearances looking like I’d just rolled out of bed on TV, I started hiring amazing makeup artists like my girls Kara Winslow and Quita Campbell to do me up. And then … since I travel so much for work and can’t always take them with me, I had Kara teach me how to do my own makeup. Sounds simple, but for me … it was a very big thing. And THEN … my sweet friend Tara Gidus asked me to fill in for her on her talk show Emotional Mojo and I couldn’t get away with wearing cute workout clothes anymore. Damn it! I actually already have the professional clothes because of my busy corporate speaking schedule, but … I was told that I “needed” jewelery. Ack! I hated jewelry. But then … I borrowed a bunch for Emotional Mojo from my pal Susan Regalado, which then inspired me to BUY MY OWN. WTH? Oh! I forgot to mention that I also have been wearing false eyelashes and curling my hair. WHO AM I? This is getting silly. However, now that I’ve done it all a bunch, it doesn’t feel so bad and I’m actually starting to enjoy a bit of the latida girlie stuff.
- And this is the thing that really erked me today. A few years ago, I literally ran a half marathon on a random whim provided by runDisney. This is the thing I confidently assured the world I’d never do. You can read about it here. I was more than surprised to be crossing both the starting and finish lines that day, but I did it and really had a lot of fun. And a few weeks later, because I was feeling so frisky on the “I can do a half marathon without training for it feeling”, I jumped in to a short triathlon which I also had not prepared for. It was awesome. Since then, I’ve done a bunch of half marathons and have loved them all. But my stance has remained. I’ve never crossed the finish line of a half marathon and thought “Gee, I’d like to do that again … right now!” So the dreaded full marathon has been off of my list of things to do … until today. Now, I’m not committing to anything here and I’m more ticked than anything. But, I was looking at this stupid headband of mine which is printed with a bunch of “13.1” marks and for one fleeting – one really stupid fleeting moment I thought, “Maybe I’ll need one with 26.2 all over it”. That was it! I hate myself for even considering it, but apparently I’m either a glutton for punishment or a girl who’s still making progress. At this point, I’m not sure which. The good news, I know that if I ever commit to a full marathon, I’ll end up better for it. And then … oh gosh. I don’t even want to imagine what I’ll come up with next.
So here’s the moral of the story. I’m evolving. And I’m probably evolving because I crave so much more than I am and that I have. I’ve stuck with a bunch of semi-dumb thoughts and rules for a long time, and the more I unleash them … the better things are. Hating the cold, makeup, jewelry and distance running really didn’t get me anywhere. Since I’ve welcomed those things in to my life, I’ve had more fun and have become more successful along the way. I’m working hard to be more of a “yes person” than a “NO person”, because in most cases – my YESES lead to more fun.
So, if you are also stuck inside some stupid box, I suggest you start kicking and screaming. Give some new things a try and stop hanging on to this person you think you’re supposed to be. Ready to be the fit one with the great job and adventurous lifestyle? Do it! Want babies? Have them. Want to move away from your hometown? GO!
Life is short, and you’ve got a lot more fun to have and way more things to accomplish. So start pushing the envelope. I can even let you borrow some ski pants or jewelry if you need it!
What NO are you hoping to turn in to a YES?